THE PRESIDENT’S MESSAGE
A warm Hafa Adai and Welcome to all GBA Members:
On behalf of the Board of Governors of the Guam Bar Association, we are pleased to begin the year 2012 as a co-sponsor with the District Court of Guam’s 2012 Annual Conference event on January 26, 2012. Most notably, the Guam Bar Association was honored to welcome the Honorable Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor with the Supreme Court of theUnited States of America as the keynote presenter for the 2012 District Court Conference. Within the past year and a half during my tenure, the Bar has worked diligently in promoting the following goals:
* Providing on-going Continuing Legal Education courses and seminars to bar members towards the improvement of the practice of law;
* Working in partnership with the District Court of Guam and Judiciary of Guam to provide valuable CLE resources and training to bar members.
* Advancing community outreach and awareness through the promotion of Law Week Activities and Pro bono services to the public;
* Sponsoring annual charitable events such as the GBA Golf Tournament to raise monies towards programs that provide resources for Pro Se litigants under LASH;
* Working towards providing valuable resources and benefits for bar members.
One of the Guam Bar Association’s most notable accomplishments for 2011 was the passage of the amendment by the American Bar Association (“ABA”) allowing Guam, the CNMI and American Samoa to have a full seat in the House of Representatives. For twenty (20) years, Guam and the CNMI shared one seat in the ABA House of Representatives, and with the passage of this amendment, Guam can now avail itself to more resources and benefits with the ABA.
I look forward to continue serving as President and working towards the improvement of our services within the Guam Bar Association.
CYNTHIA V. ECUBE